Wednesday 17 April 2013

Willie Smith Organic Cider

I could count on my hands the number of apple ciders I have purchased during my life. And the majoirty of those times has been since moving to Tasmania which is not surprising looking around the area at the number of apple trees. Last Sunday we ventured over to Grove where Willie Smith Organic Cider farm was having an open day.


I never realised how much equipment was needed for producing the levels of cider these guys produce. As I walked around their orchards and buildings it was obvious that a fair level of capital is required to set up an operation as impressive as this.

Fermenting storage




Obviously we sat down after the guided tour and enjoyed tasting their cider, and tasty it was. To go with this there were some artisan products for lunch and we tried a nachos that was quite delicious.


It was interesting to note that the majoirty of apples they grow are Gala, Golden Delicious, Fuji, and Pink Lady. There may be another one which I can't remember.


Even their straight apple juice was much better than the normal shop bought reconstituted stuff. Live music was also provided by Alan Gogoll, a local guitarist from Kingston. I highly recommend you check his music out. He creates a unique sound on his guitar and is a truly talented artist.  Check him out here. hhttp://www.alangogoll.com/home.htm


It is fantastic to see ventures such as this happening locally. The Huon Valley really has so much potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment