Saturday 19 January 2013

The bulbing onions trial

In mid August, I decided to try red (red sheffield) and brown (creamgold) onions directly seeded in a pre prepared bed. Basically I prepared the bed 4 weeks in advance and did this.

- broadcast the equivalent of 4 litres of COF (Complete Organic Fertiliser per Steve Solomon)
- added a thick layer of mushroom compost
- dug the bed over and raked it level

I have heard of others successfully grow decent sized onions this way so I thought I would try it out this year tho I was skeptical as the temperatures in the Huon Valley are still quite chilly and frosty during August and this is generally a cloudy month. If I was to sow the seed direct at the ideal time of July, the cold wet soils would not allow for germination. Sowing direct in August I figured would not allow enough time for germination (they are slow) and growth to a good size before they start bulbing after the longest day of the year (Dec 21).

My trial is now complete. The crop was a fizzler proving to me that there is not enough time generally to grow big onions via direct seeding in mid August. At least on my soils anyway. Added to my delima was the invasion of the weed sheep sorrell which i believe came in the sheeps poo that had been added to the bed the previous summer. I was forever weeding out the tops to no avail as the roots extend quite some distance underground (see an earlier post dedicated to this weed). The dry weather over the past 2 months may also not have helped and due to being on tank water, I did not irrigate a great deal. I was going to leave them to keep growing, however I pulled the plug when most leaves fell over and also needed another bed to prepare for the winter crop.

The yield I got was 2.5 kg from 2 packs of 'creamgold' brown onions. The yield is not worth even discussing from the red onions.

the small creamgold onions
Next year I will raise seedlings in the hot house early July for planting out mid August and will see how that fares. Two years ago I did plant a punnet of brown onions and finished with some large onions that are worth the space in the patch. In Qld I used to grow onions from seedlings successfully also. However I will rely more on my preferred onion, the potato onion for the majority of my onions harvest next year. No that is not two vegetables or mis-spelt. Potato Onions are grown from the bulb and each bulb expands to about 8 to 12 new bulbs. And are much more suited to my climate. I only grew a handful of potato onions this year as I was two late in getting the bulbs to plant in April/May and planted what I had for re-planting next year.

And now to a picture of the yields from the red onions. Goes to show that no matter how long you have been gardening, some times you have wins and sometimes losses. But I always learn more from the losses!!!!

The massive red onion harvest (Note I did abort two rows due to their woeful size on Dec 21)

On a more successful note, my garlic harvest was what I have come to expect since moving to Tasmania. Those amazing purple Tassie garlic that are so easy to grow.

More Garlic than the kitchen can use, however I also use garlic for preventing worms in the chooks and pigs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you - onions are tricky. But I managed an 'OK' crop this time around but nothing to brag about that's for sure. Like you though, the garlic was amazing. Ironically, we live in Brissie... But I'm impressed with your garlic braiding skills, which I'm still have trouble with. I ended up just tying mine with a few ribbons.

    ReplyDelete